One of my friends had her birthday this week, and I celebrated by making one of her favorite “go-to” weeknight recipes. While we may not be as hurried as we usually are, this is a great, flavorful dish that we can use items we already have in our fridge. As you can see, the recipe called for broccoli, but I made do with asparagus. Easy, delish, done! Enjoy! Thanks ambitiouskitchen ! 👩🏻🍳
Garlic Parmesan Pasta with Chicken Sausage & Broccoli
* 10 oz uncooked whole wheat or gluten free rigatoni (ziti or fusilli also works)
* 3 cups broccoli florets
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 4 precooked chicken sausages, sliced (I used Trader Joe’s sundried tomato basil chicken sausages)
* 1 red bell pepper, julienned
* 1 small white onion
* ⅓ cup grated parmesan
* ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
* ½ teaspoon salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* Red pepper flakes
* To garnish: Extra parmesan & parsley
1. Add pasta and broccoli to a large pot with water and pasta until al dente, as directed on the package. Once the pasta has cooked, drain, then transfer the pasta back into pot.
2. While pasta is cooking, add the olive oil, sliced chicken sausages, red pepper and onion to a large skillet and saute for 8-10 minutes or until chicken sausages are slightly golden and veggies are al dente.
3. Add the cooked veggie and chicken sausage mixture to the pasta and stir. Next add in parmesan, garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Pour into warm bowls and serve immediately.
4. Serve with extra parmesan on top and a sprinkle of parsley. Serves 4.